Shoutem platform is a concept we introduced with the newest version of the Shoutem app builder.
Shoutem platform allows extensions developers to know that their extension will stay functional even if something changes in Shoutem’s underlying service layers.
The answer to: when should you upgrade Shoutem platform to the latest version? depends on whether or not you have custom extensions installed in your app.
Upgrade Shoutem platform and all your Shoutem extensions to the latest version regularly.
Test your custom app with the latest version of Shoutem platform before upgrading.
The easiest way to do the test?
- Clone your app
- Upgrade Shoutem platform to the latest version in the cloned app
- Preview the app in the builder, or, use the Preview app
- All ok and as expected? Good to go! You can safely upgrade the Shoutem platform in your original app
- Problems? Breaking changes using the upgrade with your cloned app?
- Make appropriate changes to your extensions
- Re-test until all issues are resolved
- Good to go! You are safe to upgrade the platform with your original app
Not sure if you have a custom extension? Not to worry…
A warning popup window will let you know if you have unsupported custom extensions installed when you try to upgrade the Shoutem platform.