Shoutem platform is a concept we introduced with the newest version of the Shoutem app builder.
Shoutem platform allows extension developers to know that their extension will stay functional even if something changes in Shoutem’s underlying service layers.
The answer to this question, it all depends on whether or not you have custom extensions installed in your app.
Upgrade the Shoutem platform and all your Shoutem extensions to the latest version regularly.
Test your custom app with the latest version of the Shoutem platform before upgrading.
The easiest way to do the test?
- Clone your app
- Upgrade the Shoutem platform to the latest version in the cloned app
- Preview the app in the builder, or, use Disclose to preview it
- All good and as expected? Good to go! You can safely upgrade the Shoutem platform in your original app
- Problems? Breaking changes using the upgrade with your cloned app?
- Make appropriate changes to your extensions
- Re-test until all issues are resolved and then update your Shoutem platform
Not sure if you have a custom extension? Not to worry…
A warning popup window will let you know if you have unsupported custom extensions installed when you try to upgrade the Shoutem platform.